Monday, December 8, 2008

The Highest of Compliments

Image found at: http://www.bloodpoolagent.com/html/images/literature.jpg



The Highest of Compliments

In my college experience, I have never had a class that compares to Mr. Paul Gasparo’s English 111 course. An insightful teacher who also manages to be down to earth, Paul is an encouraging instructor who is always willing to lend a hand. The eight-week course is not something that I would be willing to do again,
but Paul had a way of incorporating each assignment and presentation in a timely manner that was not as difficult as it could have been.
The class itself was fun to be in. With the ability to have open-ended conversations, each student was able to voice their opinion in an inoffensive manner. Class discussions were always lively, and although they often strayed off topic, they were insightful and intelligent. Paul was able to insert something from each student’s personality or interests into each class.
Paul was able to include videos, amusing stories, and appropriate literature for this class. Though the assignments themselves were difficult trying to fit everything into eight weeks, they had the ability to make you think. The assignments incorporated literature from Shakespeare to Hunter S. Thompson. The essays that we were instructed to do helped further the students writing and thinking abilities. While writing each essay, I did not feel that I had to hold back my opinions with the thought that the professor would be biased. I was also able take bits and pieces of each essay and add just a hint of them into others, and not think that Paul would mind.
Students were able to further their learning by editing and revising other students essays and assignments. You were able to have conversations with a small group of people without having repercussions. Paul encouraged students to work together on certain projects and allowed presentations to be given by groups of people versus having to do all the work alone. He also encouraged working through technology such as blogs and sending assignments via email. It’s rare that you find an Instructor who tries to keep you updated in the world beyond pencil and paper.
Throughout the course of the class, the teacher and students were able to hold debates and conversations about everything from the 2008 election to obesity in America. Students did not feel like they had to hold back, but they didn’t feel forced to add input either. Everyone was able to speak their minds and not worry about the consequences.
My goal with my college education is to get the appropriate degree to teach English. My goal as a teacher would to mimic Paul’s classes. He is the type of instructor I have always wanted to be. I am a very strict judge and critique of English courses, so coming from me, this is the highest of compliments I could pay. I truly enjoyed my experience in Paul’s class, and if possible would like to continue my English education in his classes. He is a wonderful professor and really found his calling when he decided to teach college courses.

1 comment:

Paul G. said...

You understood synthesis!

"I was also able take bits and pieces of each essay and add just a hint of them into others, and not think that Paul would mind."